Monday, July 30, 2012

Surly Long Haul Trucker - Trail Riding

Click on the photo to enlarge it
My Surly Long Haul Trucker on a fairly rough trail

 I took the panniers off of my commuter bike and rode over to a near by trail to ride my Surly on a different surface. I've ridden this bike on some trails before, but it has been several years. My thoughts were when I originally bought a Surly - Long Haul Trucker was that this would be a bike that could do a lot of things. I have ridden it mostly as a commuter bike and a grocery getter.

 The 26 x 2 inch Continental Town & Country tires are good for everything except going fast up hill. Their size and weight are instantly noticeable as soon as the road starts to go up. They soak up the bumps and grip well off road, as long as it isn't wet and sloppy. 

 This bike has a triple crank-set and a wide ratio cassette in the back. Simply shifting to the easiest gear available on the Surly enabled me to ride up a steep hill covered with rocks and roots that I thought would be impossible to ride up.

 I think of a fun ride like this one as an adventure. Varying the type of bike and where you ride keeps cycling interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment